October 31, 2017 at 2:46 PM

What You Need to Know About Road Tax As a Disabled Driver or Nominated Driver

Many disabled drivers, as well as carers or relatives of disabled people who are unable to drive, are entitled to a complete road tax exemption. However, due to a lack of information, many are not making the claims.


It is not simply those in receipt of one particular type of disability benefit that is eligible. There are four eligible groups for road tax exemption for disabled claimants. These are:

  • Those in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of the DLA
  • Those in receipt of the enhanced rate mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
  • Those in receipt of the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • Those in receipt of the Armed Forces Independence Payment

Conditions and Regulations for Vehicle Tax Exemption

It is important to note that anyone claimant can only claim for a single car tax exemption at a time. It is therefore not possible to claim tax exemption on multiple vehicles through disability allowances. Additionally, the exempted vehicle must be solely driven for the personal use of the claimant. Even in the case of a nominated driver, that driver can only make journeys to service the disabled claimant.


Claiming for the First Time

When purchasing a new vehicle from a dealership, you must bring your Certificate of Entitlement to your particular category of disabled benefit in order to qualify for the tax exemption. With second-hand vehicles, it can become more tricky. Although the dealership may be able to change the tax class of the vehicle to 'disabled' on your behalf, if they are not able to do so then you will need to take your Certificate of Entitlement, along with a V5C registration certificate and a valid MOT certificate, to the Post Office in order to be exempt from road tax.


Options for Renewing Your Tax Exemption

Many people use a V11 reminder to notify them of a necessary renewal. There are several ways to renew your road tax exemption. Perhaps the easiest is by visiting the GOV.UK website. You can also register a renewal over the phone by calling 0300 1234321. Both of these options are, however, unfortunately, unavailable to those claimants in receipt of the Armed Forces Independence Payment, who will need to visit the Post Office to make their annual claim.

How to Change Your Car Tax Class to Disabled