June 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM

New road tax regulations came into force earlier this year, but they only affect vehicles registered after 1st April 2017. However, despite all the speculation and misinformation that always seem to surround announcements like these, the new regulations will not affect your ability to claim road tax exemption as a disabled person.  

 Let's demystify the whole topic and find out whether you can claim exemption, by taking a look at the rules.

Who can claim?

You can apply for an exemption if you meet any of the following criteria:

·       You receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance. 

·       You receive the Enhanced Rate mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment. 

·       You receive the Armed Forces Independence Payment. 

·       You receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.

What about the car?

The vehicle must be registered in your name or that of your nominated driver. It must only be used for your personal transportation needs. In other words, if you have a nominated driver, they may not drive it for their own personal use, and neither can anybody else. 

Also, note that you can only have one such vehicle tax exemption at any given time.

How do you claim?

To apply for an exemption, you will need a Certificate of Entitlement from whichever of the above bodies is applicable in your case. They should send you this automatically, but if not, call their helpline and they will get one to you in the post. 

You claim your exemption when you tax the vehicle – essentially, the way it works is that you are changing the taxation class to “disabled.” If you are buying a new car from a dealership, they should be able to take care of this for you, as can many second-hand traders. 

In the event that the dealer cannot help you, or if you are buying from a private individual, then you will have to do it yourself. Don't worry, though, as it is not complicated. You simply apply at a post office, in much the same way as we always used to when getting our tax disc before road tax went online. Take the registration document or new keeper supplement, the MOT certificate, your insurance documents and, of course, your Certificate of Entitlement. 

What about renewal?

Once the vehicle is registered in the new taxation class, it is simple to renew it online every year, or to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), just the same as you would with any other vehicle.

Anything else?

Even if you are not entitled to full exemption, you might be able to claim a 50 percent discount on your road tax if you are in receipt of the standard rate mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment. You might also be eligible for VAT relief on the cost of converting a vehicle to meet your disability needs, or of leasing an appropriate vehicle. Take a look at the Motability website to find out more.


Are you exempt from Road Tax

Category: Ideas and Tips