December 17, 2018 at 9:55 AM

As a disabled driver or disabled passenger with a nominated driver, you could be entitled to financial help from the government depending on the allowances you're already entitled to.


You can apply for 100% discount on your car tax if you get the:

  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

The vehicle must be registered in your name or the name of your nominated driver. It must only be used for your personal transportation needs, so, if you have a nominated driver, they're not allowed to drive it for their own personal use, and neither can anybody else. 

It's also important to note that you can only have one vehicle tax exemption at any given time.


To apply for your 100% car tax exemption, you will need a Certificate of Entitlement from whichever of the above bodies is applicable in your case. They should send you this automatically, but if not, call their helpline and they will get one to you in the post. 

You claim for your exemption when you apply for vehicle tax – essentially, the way it works is that you are changing the taxation class to 'disabled'. 

If you've just bought a new car or are claiming for a vehicle for the first time, you need to submit the claim at the Post Office. You will need to take:

  • The V5C registration certificate (log book) in your name, or a new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you've just bought the vehicle*
  • Your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) if you have one
  • A MOT certificate that's valid when the tax starts, or evidence if your vehicle's exempt from having a MOT (V112)
  • Evidence of any eligibility for a disability exemption

The Post Office will send your V5C, V5C/2 or V62 to the DVLA. You will receive a confirmation from the DVLA within 10 working days that your taxation class has been changed.

The DVLA will send an updated V5C to you in the post. If you're due a refund, you should receive this within six weeks - if it hasn't arrived after six weeks, contact the DVLA.

Once you've applied for road tax exemption the first time, you can just apply online when you need to renew it.


Even if you're not eligible for complete road tax exemption, you might still be able to claim for a 50% reduction if you receive the PIP standard rate mobility component.

You cannot get a reduction if you only receive the DLA lower rate mobility component.


Similar to applying for road tax exemption, you will need to submit a claim at the Post Office. You will need to include:

  • A letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you're getting it
  • The vehicle log book (V5C)^
  • V10 form
  • An original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • A cheque or payable order (made out to 'DVLA, Swansea') for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle


If your company provides transport for disabled people, for example, a wheelchair accessible vehicle on a taxi fleet, those vehicles are exempt from road tax.

You can apply for the tax exemption in the same way as a disabled driver or nominated driver for a disabled person as outlined above.

*if you don't have the V5C or V5C/2, download and fill in a V62 form and take it to the Post Office with you. It will cost £25 to get a new V5C.

^if you've just bought the vehicle and it's not registered in your name yet, you'll need to download and fill in a V62 form and include the V5C/2 new keeper supplement with your application. The documents need to be sent to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

Category: Tips